The last thing that any driver wants is to be stranded on the side of the road, especially with a flat tire. Sansone Auto Group is here to make sure all our customers are armed with the knowledge of how to change a flat tire. First and foremost, you won’t be able to accomplish much if you don’t have the proper tools with you: a spare tire, tire iron, and jack. We compiled a few tips for you to keep in mind as you change a tire on your vehicle.
How to Change a Tire
- Pull off to a safe area with flat ground and ample room; we suggest the shoulder of a highway, a parking lot, or a side street.
- Retrieve the spare tire, tire iron, and jack.
- Loosen the wheel lugs of the flat tire, but don’t remove them yet.
- Take the jack to raise the vehicle until the tire is off the ground.
- Remove the wheel lugs and then the flat tire.
- Mount the spare tire onto the wheel studs, and reattach the wheel lugs.
- Lower the vehicle to the ground, and tighten the wheel lugs as much as you can.
After you have the spare tire mounted, visit our auto service center near Staten Island, NY for tire repair or replacement. It’s important to keep in mind that you’re not supposed to drive for long periods of time on a flat or at high speeds.